Tuesday, December 20, 2011

meantime mommy

The word "meantime" is defined as "the time between events." When I think about it, a lot of our life is spent in "the meantime." The meantime seems insignificant, because the big events are what we expect to define our lives. But I'm seeing more and more that the meantime is actually what makes our lives what they are. The meantime and how we respond to it is what makes us who we are.

As you know, in Haiti I am blessed with the opportunity to play Mom for a lot of babies. I'll never actually be their mothers who will provide for them and watch them grow up and such for the rest of their lives. But for now, I am their mom, until they can go home to their parents. I am a mommy in the meantime.. a "meantime mommy." And I love it.

Being a meantime mommy comes with many gifts! I get to love babies to death and not care if I spoil them rotten because I'm not going to be the one dealing with a rotten 3 year old haha. I get to watch moms and dads come and love their babies, and then I get to be the one to comfort and reassure them that I'm taking care of their kids until they can come back. I get to pick out adorable outfits without having to buy clothes. I get to let babies sleep in my bed because I'm never going to have to break that habit for them. I also don't have to say goodbye often, and when I do I can say "I'm coming back soon!"

Some of the gifts are harder to bear than others... for example the idea that one day they WILL go home with their mommys, and my "meantime" will be over. But new kids will always come. My heart just has to learn to grow a little more to fit more people in it each time. I get to be sad and lonely and worry about them and miss them like they are my own while I'm home for the holidays. And right now, I also get to feel the joys of "hand-foot-mouth disease" that I'm pretty sure I contracted from one of my babies before I left Haiti haha. [don't worry... it goes away by itself in about 10 days]. Either way... whether the gifts are easy or hard, they are all beautiful, and I wouldn't trade a second of being a meantime mommy.

It's so good to be home. America is different from Haiti, and we are selfish and materialistic and greedy and sadly mistaken about the Gospel of the Lord. But Haiti has it's own set of qualities that are suffocating and obnoxious and heartbreaking... they are no better or no worse than America or any other country. This world is fallen, and it SHOULD BE heartbreaking because sin lives here and God doesn't live in every heart. So even through the things about America that frustrate me to tears sometimes, it's good to be home and to be back with my family and my friends and to be comfortable and at least know what to expect from the people around me, even if it's not always perfect.

And one more thing... today is the 1 year anniversary of the homecoming into Heaven of my sweet friend Megan Inman. It doesn't seem like it's been a whole year. I know this day is beyond hard for her family and friends, but we must remember that while we cry tears of sorrow here and celebrate the life she had, the angels and the Lord shout praises and thanksgiving for the life she started in Heaven 1 year ago today. Pray with me for peace and comfort, and constant reminders that God has not forgotten us.

A glimpse of life at home so far...
 
Happy 80th Birthday Nanny!!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post, Chelsey! I agree with so much of what you said, and you said it so well. :) Your fam is so beautiful! I hope ya'll have a wonderful time together!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete