Saturday, September 21, 2013

my strong suit

I figured out how to upgrade software on my iPhone. I'm now an iOS 7 user.

Twice in 12 hours I almost threw my phone because I couldn't figure out how to work the thing with new icons and zooming screens and a strange calendar. And then, I regretted the upgrade.

Change is not my strong suit.

Crazy, right? Considering change is inevitable and seems to stalk me like a tiger in the jungle hunting an innocent antelope. [yes, tigers hunt antelope. I googled it].

Last weekend my family came and stayed the night with me. We wedding dress shopped, ate ridiculous amounts of unhealthy restaurant food, made wedding crafts, watched football, visited and devoured sweets from a delicious bakery, and ended the evening with a slumber party in the living room on air mattresses, grown-up-kids-style. They got up and left the next morning and I hugged my baby sisters goodbye and casually added "See you at Christmas" to which my 17-yr-old sister Sam declared "What?! This sucks."

And alas, it does, to an extent. My fam is tight, and my siblings and their significant others and my parents are my best friends. And it's not ideal to live half a day away from people you care so much about.

But, you wanna know what is ideal? And what I am 110% excited about? This guy.
Watching New Girl and making dinner. Going on dates and double dates and triple dates. Working and watching him work. Doing life physically together instead of via facetime and text messages and bedtime phone calls. Building each other up and praying for each other and learning how to navigate the world together, cause lets be real, life is hard and things don't always go as planned and all that is so much easier to walk through holding hands with someone who knows you and makes even the rainiest day look a little bit sunny.

I'm excited about making much of Jesus with him in the lives of kids and parents and everyone in between.

I don't do change well, but I do it a heck of a lot better with Sam.

I've booked movers and cancelled my cable and rented a U-Haul and I have 3 days of work left and my living room looks like a Kroger stock room full of my things sneakily disguised in boxes labeled with cereal names. And in less than a week, I'm blowing this Popsicle stand.

More to come people... it's about to get real. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment