Saturday, November 12, 2011

heart beats.

So... here I sit on the balcony of a hotel in a relatively sketch alleyway in Santiago, Dominican Republic. I'm so blessed to be here, and even more blessed to have internet right now [even if I have to sit outside to get it]. I don't have much time but I wanted to give you a brief update about whats going on over here. We have 4 kids getting surgeries, so I'll tell you about each one individually and the progress they have made. The internet here is not good enough right now for me to put up a lot of pictures, so I'll show you who you are praying for later :)

First, there is Pricille. She is 2 years old and had open heart surgery on Thursday. She is still in the recovery room and doing great! She is breathing on her own but hasn't fully woken up yet, so we are still waiting for her to stop being so groggy. Her mom is at the hospital with her and has been so thankful that her daughter's life has been preserved. Prayers for her continued recovery and the fact that the doctors say at some point she will need another operation would be great!
photo by Ben K. Moser
Next is Esnadier. He is 11 years old and is in desperate need of surgery. I think he's our sickest patient. He can't even walk up one flight of stairs without having to squat down at the top to catch his breath. Despite his heart problem and the impact it has had on his life, he is so funny and is constantly joking around. The first day we were here he was bent over catching his breath, O2 sats in the 40s, and he looked up at me and said "Ou jenn!" which means "you're young!" which is the way Haitians say "you can't understand anything... grow up." haha. It's one of his favorite jokes. His older brother is here with him. He will be having surgery on Friday! He is very nervous about it and definitely needs prayers for a calm spirit.
photo by Ben K. Moser
Then there is Naika. She is 8 years old and is the sassiest little Haitian girl I've ever met haha. It took her a while to warm up, but since she has she hasn't stopped talking. Of course it's all in Creole, and so we just mostly nod our heads or try to acknowledge what she's saying without agreeing, in case it's something important thats not true [you only make that mistake a few good times and then you know better]. Her mom just got here tonight. The paperwork wasn't in line for her to come when we left so we had to leave without her. Naika was a very big girl and didn't get upset about it at all until yesterday when she had to go to the heart cathlab and had a very sore leg when she woke up after her procedure. I honestly have never seen a kid happier to see their mom than she was when her mom came in today. It was a priceless moment and I'm so glad I got to be here for it. Her open heart surgery is scheduled for Tuesday! She HATES IV sticks, so specific prayers that they get her on the first stick are precious.

And finally, I hate to admit that I have a favorite heart patient, but I do and his name is Zaikel. His grandmother who cares for him also didn't have the paperwork in line to come when we left Port au Prince, so she just got here today as well. Zaikel is 3 years old and would have absolutely nothing to do with anybody except his grandmother when we were in Haiti. They put him in the car and somebody sneaky told him his grandmother was in the truck in front of them. After an hour of him fussing to get in the truck, I brought him in and he rode with me the rest of the 8 hour trip. He never cried again [for his grandmother] but he quickly transferred his attachment to me. We stayed 2 nights in the hospital, and he went about 72 hours of screaming bloody murder if I got out of a 10 foot range of him. I thought the attachment was pretty one-sided, until I found myself crying tears of joy when he came out of the cathlab in once piece after a simple diagnostic procedure. And now that his grandmother is here staying in the same room with me and he is in my bed and not hers, I realize I may have let my guard down and loved him a little recklessly. But, what can I do? The damage is done now haha. Might as well take advantage of a few more days with him! He will have his surgery on Friday as well [with Esnadier].

In the meantime, Kensly and I will be here taking care of the kids and their guardians... showing the love of Christ in whatever way we are called to. I realized a few days ago that I now have less than 5 weeks before I am home! I can't believe it. I'm praying for a strength and ability that allow me to live in the PRESENT... not the future or the past.

I know that My God does not put desires in my heart that He doesn't fulfill. And I know that if you are His child, the same is true for you. I will write more about this later... just reassuring you that He won't give you a desire for something and then not give it to you. Just wait. His timing is PERFECT. Promise. :)

Goodnight from Santiago!

1 comment:

  1. Up early in TN to an overcast windy morning in the low 60s. Still comfortable out in shorts. Our first hard frost has come and gone last week. The air is crisp and leaves are falling. Early Friday morning the leaves on one specific tree sounded like snow coming down. It think I could have watched the entire tree shed it's summer coat if I had had the time. I am specifically praying for you this morning and all who read your post to do as you say ... be present in the moment. Soak up the gift of today, engage the now and trust God will handle tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete