Monday, December 6, 2010

blog: introduced

As I begin my first blog, I ponder exactly what my purpose is for beginning it at all. I do not particularly aim to entertain (although you may find some things I write worth thinking about again), and I do not aim to create a place to "vent" (although I may use this for that on occasion). (this for that seems like incorrect grammar, but i like it). So, I think I will begin with some much needed introductions:

Me: I am a senior in college and will graduate in May with a bachelor's degree in the science of nursing. I will begin working, and will not think about grad school for at least ten years. I am a follower of the one and only Christ, and I attempt to live my life in a way that reflects His. It's hard, and sometimes I let myself get sidetracked by the world, but He always brings me back.

Purpose: I will be writing this blog in an attempt to share with you the events I encounter and the feelings I have while I try to walk with Jesus daily. I use writing to figure things out when I am confused, and I hope to encourage fellow Christians as we travel through this world. I also hope that you will be inspired and that some things I write will challenge you to stretch your faith, or have some if you've none.

Title: As many of you probably know, "Temporary Home" is a song sung by Carrie Underwood. It is rather old, but I just discovered it this past summer (much to the disappointment of my summer roommate who wasn't fond of my setting my ipod to repeat and blaring it a minimum of 20 times a day, literally). The lyrics of the chorus go like this:

"This is my temporary home, its not where I belong,
Just windows and rooms that I'm passing through..
This is just a stop on the way to where I'm going
I'm not afraid because I know...
This is my temporary home."

To me this is a perfect picture of my life on this earth, because it truly is temporary and my home is elsewhere. I was not made for this place, and I often feel like a stranger here (as we should, as Believers: "Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul." 1 Pet 2:11)

Inspiration: I must give credit where credit is due, and say that the initial idea to create a blog was inspired by two dear friends: Sam and Jen. They are both incredibly inspiring people who I admire immensely. Of course, scripture has also inspired me to share my experiences with others as a witness to our Almighty Father ("A truthful witness saves lives, but one who breathes out lies is deceitful" Proverbs 14:25) 

I appreciate those of you who will read this faithfully, and I hope that it blesses you in some way. For now, may God bless you and keep you close!

2 comments:

  1. You write like a nurse ;) I love it. I love your honesty and faith. You inspire me!! Keep writin' girl. Cant wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pumped about this! You are an inspiration to me as well. I see Christ in you in a way that makes me draw closer to Him and I thank you for that! Let's blog, home girl!

    ReplyDelete