Thursday, October 9, 2014

sacrificial love


I run through the drive thru less so he can go more.

In the driveway, he parks furthest from the door so I can park closest.

I love orange sherbet ice cream, but I buy Neapolitan because I know he likes it better.

When the dogs bark at 5am, he gets up and lets them out, every time.

We are learning the meaning of

sacrificial love.

Day in and day out, my husband and I are becoming more and more aware of what it looks like to put someone else's needs above our own.

I get tired of making the bed every morning and sometimes I don't want to do dishes or laundry, but I still do, for him. He prefers sci-fi movies and sitcoms about the government, but he took me to see "The Box Trolls" and he watches "Grey's Anatomy" on Thursdays.

If we have learned one thing about this thing called marriage, it's that it entails a never ending stream of sacrifice. We each do things we would never do if it were up to us.

Yet we do them joyfully, and willingly.

We pour ourselves out to each other and serve each other so that at the end of every day we climb into the bed exhausted in our bones and in our souls, but we can always say that

we have given each other all we had.

Because we are husband and wife.

And it is our heart's desire not just to love each other, but to love each other well.


[photos by Rachel Moore Photography]

No comments:

Post a Comment