Friday, September 12, 2014

two weeks in

Tonight marks two weeks since our wedding day! We are sitting at a little coffee shop reflecting on our first two weeks of marriage and we have decided to share with you a few things we have learned since the honeymoon is over and we are officially back to reality. 

Of course, one of the biggest changes that we have faced has been learning to sleep in the same bed through the night. The first night we were back in Dallas we tucked ourselves into bed beside each other and I rolled over and looked Sam right in the eyes and said, "Hey babe. Guess what? When you wake up in the morning, I'll still be here :)" He smiled and responded, "Hey babe. Guess what? You're in the middle of the bed." 

Three mornings later as we sat up at 7am having our morning coffee, Sam turned to me and in his most sweet husband voice said "Hey babe. How would you feel about considering some nose strips for you? You snore." I died laughing. We are learning each other, thats for sure. And as of now, we continue to survive without the nose strips.

A few nights ago for the first time Sam fell asleep and I laid awake in the dark, afraid to move for waking him up. After half an hour of listening to him breath, I slithered to the edge of the bed and slipped my ipad from the floor, darkening the screen so it wouldn't wake him. I proceeded to flip hamburgers on a ridiculous cooking game for an hour or two while he slept soundly beside me. Whatever works, right?

One of our favorite things to do on nights we have off from the real world (which let's be honest, doesn't happen that often), is drink coffee at a restaurant with a bottomless coffee bar and plan student discipleship or write sermons or do our devotionals beside each other. We are working on befriending our waiter as I'm typing this, actually. 

We spend at least two nights a week at various football games supporting players and cheerleaders. We are so excited for the fall weather.. I personally can't wait to decorate and carve pumpkins and drink apple cider until I explode! I'm trying to talk Sam into dressing up in a couples costume for Halloween. He's not convinced. Maybe because I want to be Cruella Deville and I want him to be a Dalmatian on a leash? I'll keep thinking on it.... haha

Speaking of dogs, tomorrow afternoon we are officially adopting not one, but TWO puppies! They are 15 week old Australian Shepherd mixes.. brother and sister. The boy's name is Siri and he is black with a little white on his face.. he's calm and reserved. The girl's name is Echo and she is white with a little black on her face.. she's crazy and energetic and in your face constantly wanting attention. "They match us!" Sam says. I wasn't sold on two puppies at one time, but once I met them I couldn't resist. They are so so so cute. I'll probably reference this email in which I'm excited about it multiple times over the next few months when I will inevitably want to give them away. Puppy training begins immediately, don't worry.

I guess thats it for now! We are doing great as husband and wife and are sending love from Texas to wherever you are!

2 comments:

  1. So excited for you too! Sad I didn't get to meet Sam at the wedding, but I know I will soon! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a beautiful couple. I am so happy for you both! With love from Cathy Belew (Debi's friend, worked with your granddaddy).

    ReplyDelete