Monday, September 5, 2011

#4: Sweet Melissa.

When I was in high school, one of my closest friends used to play the guitar all the time. We would sit out in the driveway on Friday and Saturday nights and he would play and sing, and we'd all sit around and listen to him. One of his favorite songs to do was "Sweet Melissa" by the Allman Brothers. I used to love to hear him sing this one. As I sat in the hospital with Miss Melissa Hope Chapman last night, this was the song I sang to her [this and Amazing Grace, because for some reason when you want to sing to a baby all the lyrics you ever knew escape you completely].

Melissa was a precious baby girl who I met in March when I was in Haiti on spring break. She had Down Syndrome and a severe heart defect. Her birth mother gave her up out of total love, knowing that she could not provide the medical care that Melissa needed. Wilna, a sort of surrogate mother, took her in to her home and has taken care of her since she was a tiny baby. Jenny Chapman, a doctor from Alabama, met Melissa and fell in love and she and her husband Jack were in the final stages of adopting her.

I hate to report that this afternoon Melissa's heart gave out. It was a serious heart problem, and her heart could no longer supply her little body with the force and blood it needed. This afternoon Sweet Melissa drifted off to sleep and didn't wake up. She was not in any amount of pain or distress. I am perfectly convinced that an Angel came down and sang her a lullably, then took her by the hand and walked her slowly and peacefully into Heaven where Jesus scooped her up and held her tight. I know that now she has a brand new heart that works perfectly, and she can laugh and play and eat with no trouble at all. And I'm certain that she is waiting there for all of her earthly Mommy's and Daddy's.
Melissa and Me in March
Melissa and Me yesterday.
When I made my "101 in 1001" List I never thought that my #4 would pertain to somebody who I know and love... somebody who was like family to people who are like my family. #4 on my list reads: Be with someone when they die. Today, I fulfilled that with Sweet Melissa. Continued prayers for all her Moms and Dads, as well as everyone else who knew her are so appreciated. We know that God is still here and He has not forgotten us... and we will praise Him in this storm.

Goodnight from Port au Prince.

2 comments:

  1. Your posts are so amazing and so touching. I think of you and send prayers your way often.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet but heart breaking story. I know her adoptive parents are so glad you were there for Sweet Melissa. You are helping so many just by being your sweet self. Love you more than you can imagine. Your Aunt Debi

    ReplyDelete